Monday, February 06, 2006

Gifts and Bribes?

Over the years, I have received gifts from my students. I have been told that in the ESL world bribes are sometimes offered, but I have yet to be given anything I would consider to be a bribe.

Occasionally, the gifts have some cultural significance. For example, I was given a box of individually wrapped packets of honey-coated, Korean ginseng shortly after we were married. I have also received gifts of Chinese tea, Korean green tea and barley tea. Over the years, I have shared delicious Korean meals with students, and have received offerings of kimchi, which I like, but Paul can't get past the smell. It's the Korean answer to sauerkraut, only I don't like sauerkraut.

As well, I have received gift certificates to typical places such as Chapters or Starbucks, and one not-so-conventional-but-practical gift certificate to Safeway. Gift certificates are something that I am known to give, as well. They are less boring and more personal than giving money. They show that you have put at least some thought into the consumer interests of the recipient. And, of course, they still leave freedom for the giftee to choose exactly what he or she wants or needs.

However, I have received gifts from students that aren't what I (in my cultural mind set) consider to be conventional student-to-teacher gifts. Things such as a hand towel or a chamois (is my bathroom that bad?!) have been offered. On a few occasions I have been given socks (apparently from a famous Korean hosier). A comment on my summer-barefoot-in-sandals attire? Last week, I was given a bottle of very expensive perfume. A comment on body odour? Today I received a package of facial skin care products. I rarely wear makeup, but is my complexion really so terrible?

All this I say with tongue in cheek, as although I often raise an internal eyebrow upon opening each gift, it is, as they say, the thought that counts.

However, today's gift was issued within a half hour of all my students writing their 2-3 hour exam week English term finals.... Bribe or gift? The student received 98% on his exam of his own volition.... Really....

No comments: