Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Humourous Quotes of the Day

Related somewhat to the previous blog, there were two very funny written mispronunciations today, one from grade 9 and the other from grade 10.

One student wrote that she had not yet "unparked" her suitcases, even though she returned to Canada over a week ago. I like that one, because it is even more descriptive than "unpacked." The luggage truly does stay parked in the middle of a room until such time as we unpack it and store the bags. Paul and I still have unpacked boxes from our August move which are appropriately enough "parked" in our garage.

Another student who is preparing for a Royal Conservatory of Music exam next week talked about how difficult the "earring test" would be. Oh how much better my short musical career would have gone, had my grade 4 RCM exam only contained an earring test! I never could distinguish the "distance" between notes. A fifth was as much like an octave as an octave was a fifth. Hearing tests were my musical downfall.

The last quote of the day contains no mispronunciations, but was clearly written using a translator. That is, the meaning is clear but the usage is not that of a native English speaker.

"We placed ourselves in a Taiwanese restaurant for a light repast."

And now that my alotted "fun writing time" is up, I must resume marking for the remainder of the evening. I will now place myself at my desk with a stack of assignments!

No comments: