Today, after spending the morning marking and creating lesson plans for next week, Paul and I went into Langley in search of a plant stand. At last, four shops later, we found the perfect stand. It is three shelves of wrought iron and fits perfectly into a corner in our kitchen. Until now, our plants had their home on our old kitchen table.
All but two of our plants have been rescued from gift pots containing several varieties. I know that my ivy is, well, ivy. I rooted it from my wedding bouquet. I also know what an African violet is, and they seem to do very well under my regime of neglect. Of the others, there is a kalanchoe and, I think, a cyclamen, but the rest are mysteries to me.
One of the mystery plants simply won't die. New leaves continually sprout, as the stem grows longer, and old leaves drop off. At any given time, it only has about 6 leaves up at the top. But this plant will not die. Many times, I have tried to throw it away, but Paul feels that we have to honour its tenacity.
After Christmas, I cut four leaves off the top, and put them in rooting powder. They seem to be doing very well. However, the left over 2 foot stick, sprouted more tiny leaves at the top. Again, the plant refused to die. Today, I cut about 3 inches off the top of the stick, baby leaves and all, and replanted it with rooting powder. As a final tribute to the plant, I cut off the 2 foot stick, but left about 2 inches sticking out of the soil. I'm fairly certain that in a few days there will be new leaves on the bit I left. The stick is lying across the back of the plant stand for now, as neither Paul nor I have the heart to throw it in the trash.
If the stick dries nicely, Paul will try to fashion it into a cross. That way, it will be a symbol of everlasting life - an appropriate end for a plant that simply will not die!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment